Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Monsignor Knox on GKC

The other day I found an interesting bit of commentary on GKC:

Mr. Chesterton ... is like Johnson's friend who tried to be a philosopher, but cheerfulness would keep on coming in. The net effect of his works is serious, as it is meant to be, but his fairy-like imagination is for ever defeating its own object in matters of detail. But indeed, Mr. Chesterton is beyond our present scope; for he is rash enough to combine humour not merely with satire but with serious writing; and that, it is well known, is a thing which the public will not stand.
[Ronald A. Knox: "Introduction: on Humour and Satire" in Essays in Satire]

This book (which I purchased at that literary treasure-house called Loome!) also has that choice essay wherein Msgr. Knox applies the well-known methods of "Bible Scholarship" to the Sherlock Holmes canon: considering such apparent conflicts as Mrs. Watson calling him "James" when he stated his name was "John H. Watson" - the explanation for which Knox finds in "Backnecke's theory of the Deutero-Watson"...

Oh, it's funny. I may have to post more of it later. Meanwhile I will be busy laughing.

An aside: every time I hear about deutero-somebody (like in a homily on Semitic verbs) I see those characters from "Newhart" saying "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and my other brother Darryl..."

1 Comments:

At 06 July, 2005 13:25, Blogger Marc the polar bear said...

An aside: every time I hear about deutero-somebody (like in a homily on Semitic verbs) I see those characters from "Newhart" saying "I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and my other brother Darryl..."

Oh great. Guess what it is going to be stuck in my mind for the next twenty years! LOL

Historical uncritical method is a better term for the slipshod excuse they call Hermy-neuter-tics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home