Thursday, February 23, 2006

GKC: To A Modern Poet

I needed a laugh tonight, and perhaps you do also. Please finish drinking your wonderful drink (I do hope it is beer! or perhaps wine... ooh, he has a great poem about this too, for another day) and put down any food or vegetables before reading this very wonderful poem by our Uncle Gilbert. Also, I am sorry but the amazingly haphazard indentation has been lost somewhere. It's my fault, yes; I did NOT write the code, alas. Anyway, here you go....


To A Modern Poet
by G. K. Chesterton
(from his Collected Poems)



Well,
What
about it?

I am sorry
if you have
a green pain
gnawing your brain away.
I suppose
quite a lot of it is
gnawed away
by this time.

I did not give you
a green pain
or even
a grey powder.
It is rather you, so winged, so vortical,
Who give me a pain.

When I have a pain
I never notice
the colour.

But I am very unobservant.
I cannot say
I ever noticed that the pillar-box
was like a baby
skinned alive and screaming.
I have not
a Poet's
Eye
which can see Beauty
everywhere.

Now you mention it,
Of course, the sky
is like a large mouth
shown to a dentist,
and I never noticed
a little thing
like that.

But I can't help wishing
You got more fun out of it;
you seem to have taken
quite a dislike
to things
They seem to make you jump
And double up unexpectedly -

And when you write
like other poets,
on subjects
not entirely
novel,
such as, for instance,
the Sea,
it is mostly about
Sea-sickness.
As you say -
It is the New Movement,
The Emetic Ecstasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home