Thursday, July 28, 2005

The "Little Novena"

There are NINE days between St. Ignatius (July 31) and St. Dominic (August 8) - which might be called a "little" novena. The Great Novena is the oldest - the nine days of prayer (as Jesus ordered the Apostles to perform) between the Ascension and Pentecost.

July 31 is also the day on which I became Catholic, and so this year I will be making a novena of thanksgiving. And I am sure if you think a little, you will find some things to be thankful for, in which case this is a nice time to be thankful.

The two saints who are the "bookends" of this period were both fighters for God and both had massive intellects, so they knew how important it is to be thankful. After all, "Thanks are the highest form of thought." [G. K. Chesterton, A Short History of England]

Update:

Please remember the parents of "Holy Fool" in your prayers. (Link to his page at right.) Also my family, and my co-workers. And I will be remembering all who e-join in this novena, or who may read this posting.

Second update, July 30:

Eloise, the young daughter of a dear friend, needs some special medical tests next week.

(Note: if it seems excessive to add intention upon intention, there is no danger of overload. See my posting above, regarding infinity and the Eucharist.)

4 Comments:

At 28 July, 2005 20:58, Blogger Nancy C. Brown said...

Happy Anniversary of your Baptism day!
I, too, have many things to be thankful for, so I will join the little novena.
Not that I have a massive intellect, I don't. But I do know that I have much, in fact, everything, to be thankful for.
Not the least of which is friendship with Dr. T!

 
At 29 July, 2005 14:20, Blogger Robert Pearson said...

I, too, am blessed and will join you in thanksgiving! And I have a beautiful Cathedral right up the street from my office where I will go and light a candle this afternoon for the parents of the Holy Fool.

 
At 30 July, 2005 19:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear

Knight of God

Kindest Doctor
Dearest son
Noblest knight
Of the Most Holy One

Prescribing God's Script
Like Heaven's Balm
Gently dispensing the
Wisdom
Of the Most Holy One

Honoring family
Until it is done
Reunited by Grace
Through our Most Holy One

Defending His Truth
Through work & thru fun
Your sterling pen a
flashing sword
Praising the Most Holy One

Pledging alliance to the
Spirit
You've raised eyes to the
Son
And indeed touched the
Heart
Of the Most Holy One

7/30

 
At 31 July, 2005 10:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will remember little Eloise in my prayers today, Dr. T...

Faith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home